Activities in Sunriver, Oregon
Sunriver is a gorgeous community nestled in the Deschutes National Forest and bordered by the majestic Deschutes River. Even though there are more trees than the eye can see, Sunriver is considered part of the high desert of Central Oregon. Sunriver sits at approximately 4,000 feet of elevation in the Cascade Mountain range in the shadow of Mt Bachelor. Surrounded by 1.6 million acres of Deschutes National Forest, Sunriver sits within just a few miles of 4 major rivers and streams, 30 lakes, and 5 snow capped mountains.
• 30 miles of paved bicycle paths that weave throughout Sunriver are fun for all ages and abilities and full of wildlife and scenery.
• Explore the endless mountain bike trails of the Deschutes National Forest.
• Sunriver Revealed - Do the Paulina Plunge! The Paulina Plunge trip starts with a smooth dirt trail mountain bike ride (all down hill) along a shimmering mountain stream. Along the way you will visit six waterfalls as well as two safe, natural water slides. The trip ends with a deli lunch. Fun for the whole family! Reserve your Paulina Plunge online today!
• Join Cog Wild Bicycle Tours for one on of their many mountain bike tours for beginner to advanced riders. Enjoy artisan lunches and snacks in amazing scenery. Bring the whole family for a fun, scary-free adventure!
• Take a naturalist with you to explore the Cascade Lakes by canoe. The guides of Wanderlust Tours provide vibrant interpretation on ecology, geology, animal tracking, and history. All tours are half-day (moonlight canoe trips available). No experience necessary for any tours - great for all ages.
• Don't tip your canoe over while exploring Central Oregon on your own. Canoe rentals available from Good 2 Go.
• Take your beach balls and splash around at one or our many mountain lake beaches.
• Explore an ancient, one mile long lava tunnel. Lava River Cave is just East of Sunriver.
• Lava Tube Cave Tours by Wanderlust Tours. Fun and fascinating!
► Insider Tips: Caves are 42 degrees so bring something warm to wear in addition to something you don't mind getting dirty (there may be some crawling and exploring involved).
• Join Ranger Kipa while you explore Sunriver using your Camp Bennington Ranger Guide. Or you can play basketball, volleyball, or other games using complimentary sporting equipment available at the Bennington Properties office.
• The Sunriver Library has a variety of programs for all ages, which are free and open to the public. These include Family Fun Story time held every Tuesday, a Teen Territory program, and a Digital Downloads Open Lab. The Summer Reading Program offers children, teens, and adults the opportunity to participate in numerous activities that encourage reading.
• Sunriver Anglers, sponsored Youth Free Fish Day at Obsidian Lake in Caldera Springs. Annual event held 1st Saturday in June.
• Your kids will love seeing all the fish at the Fall River Hatchery just South of Sunriver.
• The Village at Sunriver offers miniature golf, the Alpine Express Train, bumper cars, an inflatable island, and outdoor movies all summer long.
• Bennington Properties Dog Park and Dog Wash.
• Enjoy an off-leash hike with your pooch on the many National Forest roads and trails accessible by crossing Cardinal Landing foot bridge in Sunriver or on the Good Dog! Trail just outside of Bend.
► Insider Tips: Dogs are allowed off-leash on most trails set aside for mountain biking in the Deschutes National Forest and while playing "river fetch" even along restricted trails.
• Catch your dinner on the Deschutes River, the beautiful, crystal clear Fall River, or one of the 30 nearby Cascade lakes.
• Fishing licenses are available for purchase at Camp Abbot Trading Co.
• Take a leisurely float down the Deschutes River on the floating craft of your choice. There are no rapids and just a modest current so you can just sit back and let the current take you on a scenic float through Sunriver and the Deschutes National Forest. Keep your eye open for deer, elk, porcupines, beaver, and river otter.
• Float Times:
1 hour: Harper's Bridge (Spring River Rd) to Besson Day Use Area - 1.8 miles
1 to 2 hours: Harper's Bridge to Sunriver Marina (restricted access) - 3.5 miles
2 to 3 hours: Sunriver Marina to Canoe Takeout at Benham Falls (near Circle 7) - 5.1 miles
2 to 4 hours: Besson Day Use Area to Canoe Takeout at Benham Falls - 6.8 miles
3 to 5 hours: Big River Campground (S. Century Drive) to Harper's Bridge - 7.5 miles
4 to 5 hours: Besson Day Use Area to Benham Falls Day Use Area - 7.9 miles
4 to 6 hours: Harper Bridge to Canoe Takeout at Benham Falls - 8.6 miles
► Insider Tips: Take water guns with you to have a water fight with your family and friends.
• Sage Springs Fitness Club: Free Fitness, now available to guests of Bennington Properties. Check in at the front desk of Sage Springs for access.
• Located just south of Sunriver is the beautiful and very affordable Quail Run Golf Course.
• Pavement warriors will love exploring Sunriver's 30 miles of paved pathways.
• Take a naturalist with you to explore Sunriver and Central Oregon. Wanderlust Tour's guides bring with them a vibrant interpretation on ecology, geology, animal tracking, and history. Tours are great for all ages.
• Head across Cardinal Landing foot bridge and explore the miles and miles of National Forest roads and trails.
• You better bring your cowboy hat and spurs and be ready for a ride you will never forget (tennis shoes and baseball cap work just fine). With over 100 head of horses you are sure to find that perfect steed to ride off into the sunset with. Sunriver Stables, located along the Deschutes River offers a wide range of equestrian experiences.
• Pony Town is a fun way for the little buckaroos ages 2-6 to enjoy the Stables! The adorable Shetland ponies are just the right size for the little rider.
► Insider Tips: Get up early and watch the cowboys and cowgirls wrangle in the large galloping herd of horses from the pasture. It is an amazing sight.
• Sunriver Revealed - The Sisters Rodeo & Parade ... plus Sisters Art in the Park. A day full of fun and excitement, keeping the small town western tradition alive.
• You deserve a massage from EarthTouch Therapeutic Massage! Healing philosophy centering around east meets west, a holistic approach to welbeing. Guests of Bennington Properties receive a special discount (click link above).
• Sage Springs Spa is a full-service spa. Treat yourself to a massage, facial, pedicure, manicure, waxing, hair and makeup, or full body treatment. Sage Springs treatments feature hand-crafted products formulated with organic and locally grown ingredients.
• Sisters, OR - A 45 minute scenic drive from Sunriver takes you to the city of Sisters, known for its charming village setting and western themed downtown with unique shops, galleries and restaurants
• Redmond & Smith Rock State Park - If you enjoy scenic views of deep river canyons or rock climbing, Smith Rock State Park is the place for you. Just an hour drive from Sunriver
• Crater Lake National Park - Stunning views of America's deepest lake, striking geologic features & a historic lodge are within 2 hours of Sunriver.
• Cascade Lakes Highway - This 66-mile historic highway follows a journey of water through a volcanic landscape accentuated by 14 alpine lakes. Start the full journey in Bend or head straight out of Sunriver to begin the adventure.
• Explore Sunriver's wildlife and natural ecology at the Sunriver Nature Center. Their hands-on activities, programs, exhibits, and staff of naturalists will keep your family curiously engaged and provide an exciting new perspective on the natural world.
• Billions and billions of sights to see at the Oregon Observatory at Sunriver. Feast your eyes on faraway galaxies. Witness a meteor shower. Get a glimpse of globular clusters, nebulae and deep space binary stars. Sunriver's elevation, pitch-dark surroundings, and crystal clear air make it perfect for stargazing. They have the largest collection of telescopes for public viewing in the United States.
• Sunriver Revealed - Star Gaze the Sunriver Sky! THE OREGON OBSERVATORY began its astronomical [pun intended] growth in the 1990's culminating in its current status as the largest public viewing observatory in the country, although they do like to say ‘in the universe’.
• From porcupines, golden eagles and owls, to bats, lizards, snakes and spiders you and your family will love the High Desert Museum. Get inside an outdoor tipi. Wind through a dark mine shaft. Pet the wooly sheep at the working homestead. Smell the fresh pine logs being cut at the 19th-century, steam-powered sawmill.
• Explore the live's of native peoples, fur trappers, and early explorers at the Des Chutes Historical Museum. Meet the pioneers of Deschutes County who settled along the river and raised their children, grew their crops or started businesses and prospered.
• Sunriver Revealed - Munch & Music - a weekly series, July through August at Drake Park in downtown Bend. Enjoy an opening band and headlining performance. In between indulge in the food from local vendors and shop among the vendors. They even have bounce houses for the kids.
• Sunriver Music Festival - Central Oregon's Classical Music Experience! Every summer in August.
• Fort Rock Park is located in the heart of Sunriver and is home to 8 of Sunriver's 28 tennis courts, a softball diamond, sand volleyball court, horseshoe pit, basketball court, and playground. A pavilion is available for picnic and barbecue events. Free WiFi is available.
• Paulina Park is located at SHARC off Overlook Road and circle 2 and features a playground, bocce ball court, rock climbing wall, restrooms, several picnic tables and a propane barbecue.
• Besson Picnic Area along the Deschutes River.
► Insider Tips: Guests of Bennington Properties can reserve areas of Fort Rock Park and Paulina Park for group events.
• Get your dose of white water adrenaline only minutes from Sunriver on the Big Eddy Thriller rafting trip. With Class III rapids highlighting a three-mile journey down the beautiful Deschutes River, your group is bound to have a splashing good time.
► Insider Tips: Start a water war with the other boats (whether you know them or not). It is a lot of fun!
• Awaken your inner Foodie at these wonderful restaurants in the Village at Sunriver. Sunriver Brewing Company, Cafe Sintra, Village Bar & Grill, Blondies Pizza, Hot Lava Baking Company, Brewed Awakenings, Marcello's Italian, South Bend Bistro and Goody's Soda Fountain.
• Carson's Kitchen and Twisted River at the Sunriver Lodge
• Hola! next to the Marina on the Deschutes River
• Just outside of Sunriver you can enjoy Wallow Bar & Grill, and Big Belly Burger.
► Sunriver Revealed - dining at Marcello's Cucina Italiana ...
► Sunriver Revealed - what's on tap at The Mountain Jug ...
► Insider Tip: Try the Jasmine Ice Tea and Apple Twist pastry at Cafe Sintra.
• Play, shop and eat at the Village at Sunriver.
• Sunriver Revealed - If you love Thrift stores, you will love searching for treasures at the Second Tern.
• If you like mud and sand at the bottom of your swimming hole more than concrete, then you will enjoy swimming at one of several lakes with mountain beaches. The Deschutes River may look tempting but it is cold with a very fast current, so beware.
• Juniper Swim and Fitness (in Bend) and Sunriver's SHARC.
► Insider Tips: Cross Cardinal Landing foot bridge just off of Circle 5. There are several access points on the other side of the river (Deschutes National Forest side) where you can take a dip with the local wildlife.
• Ace your opponent at one of Sunriver's 28 outdoor tennis courts. Lessons and clinics are available for children and adults. Reservations and passes required. One pass required per game. Two options for making reservations:
Call 541-593-5707 | Reserve Online thru this link >>>